Sunday, December 2, 2012

Ear Plugs and Gina Ford

I realized the hardest part of being a mother is self-confidence.  I don't think my level of self confidence has ever been as low as now, and whatever that's been built up by a good day can be easily destroyed by other people's opinion, "kind suggestions", putting me back in the wavering camp again.

I had to first fight my confinement lady on the topic of pumping and giving the bottle in the first month as I was stubborn on complete breast feed, and now I am finally getting a better handle of breast feeding, the challenges of putting a baby to sleep and on a more regular schedule seems next.

I tried the on-demand feeding for the first four weeks.  The frequent night feeds actually don't really bother me that much, but I do have a real problem with hearing Jack-Jack cry for a long period of time and unable to settle him from the crying and putting him to sleep after a feed was really stressful.  Especially when this frequently happens between 11PM and 3AM.

I also came to the conclusion that 100% attachment parenting is not for me.  While I cannot agree with the militant Gina Ford approach, not having any structure in my day, losing all the "me" time and "us" time with mic, constantly tired, sometimes not even able to get up to go to the bathroom does take a toll on me.  So I am trying to slowly learn Jack Jack's cues of what he wants -- hunger, tiredness, need for stimulation/cuddle/comfort, and putting some structure to the day in a more gradual way. The realization came after another tiring night last week of unable to settle him for 4 hours, exhausted, cried (me, not Jack Jack), going through getting up to settle him (since my confinement lady was terrible at that!), and feeling like I couldn't take it anymore and started to put on ear plugs to go to sleep and feeling completely defeated and guilty.  After he eventually settled at 3AM, I lied awake until the morning, a thousand thoughts rushing through my mind, that I really need to do it not any other person's way but my own way.

The first try was quite successful.   We had a reasonable day to start.  I slowed down.  I followed my instincts.  Self confidence came back.

Then yesterday we had a substitute confinement lady, while I liked her a lot (she's able to settle Jack Jack down so easily, unlike my original lady), but she had a very pushy attitude towards pumping and kept on criticizing how I am not giving him enough milk, and my self confidence broke down again.

I had half a day to settle myself down, and a long chat with my aunt, and have to convince myself, that today is a new day.

It will be our day, me and Jack Jack.

I am not going to let anyone else unsettle my self confidence and mother instincts any more, not confinement lady, not Gina Ford, not Baby Whisperer.  It will be our way.

5 comments:

  1. 可憐的一粒粒,真是辛苦了. 不過你這麼說了讓我不敢再給你任何建議了,我想我也許也在不自覺的情況下給你壓力了吧... 請原諒我,我也只是想跟你分享我的做法,不過真的每個孩子都不同,每對父母都不同,你們一定要自己找到自己喜歡的方式才會皆大歡喜的!

    不過我有一個疑問,為甚麼只看到你跟confinement lady出現在篇文章裡,Mic出差了嗎? 通常這種時候Mic應該會有很大的功效,可以替你分憂解勞,也可以跟你同一陣線對抗confinement lady的意見.

    Confinement lady甚麼時候走呢? 我跟老羅當初生羅蜜蜜的時候不願意請任何一方的家人來幫忙坐月子就是因為不想要有別人給我們兩個任何意見,因為我知道照顧新生兒很辛苦,有太多意見會讓我們壓力很大,所以根本不讓我爸媽或羅媽媽到德國. 後來我爸媽是在羅蜜蜜已經兩三個月大的時候才來的,那時候我們已經找到我們自己的做法了. 總之,請你照著你跟Mic喜歡的做法去做,一定會越來越上軌道的!

    (我... 我這又多嘴了嗎? 一粒護法請饒恕奈米蟲呂可吧! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lukerr -- 你沒有給我任何壓力。其實是我自己想太多,讀太多書,反而完全亂了陣腳。我對我的月嫂不太會哄小孩是有點意見,現在的決定是讓他照原定計劃一個半月就走。mic很支持我,但是全母奶的路上真的還是多落在媽媽的肩頭,要找到方法要一段時間吧。可能太累也有關係。

    ReplyDelete
  3. 親愛的一粒,

    真的是辛苦你了, 新手媽媽的路上, 大家都是這樣跌跌撞撞走過來的.
    千萬別對自己沒信心, 相信我, 你已經做得很好了, 也比很多人都做得好.
    別人的建議還是可以多聽聽, 從裡面抓出你們覺得適合的做法, 再配合你的直覺和帶種的個性和你跟Mic的心情...等等, 就會是你們自己一套最適合的方法.
    但別人的建議就是聽聽, 別人對你的評論也是聽聽 (即使是我們幾個姐妹也一樣), 他們都不是最了解你和帶種和Mic的人, 只有你和Mic能對你們三個人未來的生活做出最好的判斷和選擇.

    加油加油, scramble 還是加減要玩一下啊~~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. 親愛的一粒粒,這幾天有好一點嗎? 我知道你做甚麼事情都很認真,全力以赴,當媽媽也是一樣,只是帶孩子這事情完全沒有標準答案,每個家庭都有自己的做法和價值觀,所以當自己沒有信心的時候就很容易被周遭的人的意見影響,覺得自己是不是哪裡"沒做對". 但事實上根本沒有什麼對不對咩... 我生第一胎的時候也是這樣,明明已經想好要怎麼做了,可是有時候羅蜜蜜不按牌理出牌,把我們搞得一團亂,馬上就讓我對自己原本想好的方法完全失去信心. 就像桃子說的,大家都是跌跌撞撞走過來的,沒有人因為多看了幾本書或多聽了幾個朋友的建議就一帆風順的. 所以,你的困惑和frustration都是很正常又無可避免的吧. 我也沒有別的建議可以給你,只希望你知道我們都支持你,我們也都相信你已經做得非常好了! 當了媽媽以後,我才發現養孩子需要比我想像還要多很多很多倍的"耐性",現在你面臨的大概也是這樣吧,耐著性子慢慢去觀察和實驗,日子不會永遠像現在這樣的,一定會慢慢步上軌道的(但也會有新的challenge就是了:P). 加油加油,有空就盡量多休息吧,養孩子這條路真的很漫長啊,多儲備體力吧:) 想你唷~ oxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. 親愛的一粒:
    媽媽快樂,小孩才會快樂..當個60分媽媽就可以了!不管你是全母奶,半母奶,正著餵,倒立餵,像乳牛一樣或是只有兩滴奶,你的小jack jack都會知道那是你的愛,會乖乖長大的!大家的意見參考就可以了,祝你早日找到jack jack的規律!

    ReplyDelete